5 Proven Steps on How to Find and Hire the Best App Developers for Your Business in 2019
November 20, 2018
By 2019, the primary indicator for business owners when choosing developers has become in-depth expertise in a particular area. It’s crucial to pay attention to whether you share the same vision with a potential contractor, whether a company is interested in the purpose of creating your product, and whether it is ready to discuss your objectives expertly.
In this article, openGeekLab outlined five proven steps on how to find and hire top app developers for your business.
1. Why Is Focusing on Business Objectives Become a Priority?
For example, your objective is to launch an ICO campaign for a startup, develop a Blockchain-based solution for a fintech project, create a fitness and healthcare app, or a web app for invoice insurance.
A contractor’s expertise in a narrow niche allows delivering custom solutions and implementing unique features—smart contracts creation, cryptocurrency implementation, crypto wallets development, invoice management, payment options, wearables integration, multi-device sync, real-time tracking, etc.
The initial goal isn’t about developing a product and closing a project as soon as possible. It’s about creating a reliable tool to achieve defined business goals—boost sales, solve users’ problems, attract a new customer base, increase brand awareness, customer loyalty.
2. How to Find and Hire the Right Contractors
Decide who you want to find and hire to work with—offshore software development partner, an in-house team of creators, or hire freelance app developers.
Offshore software development partnership means relocation of particular business processes outside your country.
- Suitable for long-term, complex projects.
- More specialized skill set, comprehensive tech stack.
- Affordable rates as compared to the cost of an in-house team.
- Saving time as all staff and stuff are under one roof
- You can scale your team, depending on current needs at a certain project stage.
- Transparent workflow by applying management tools and methodologies.
- Eliminating delays due to the streamlined communication process.
- Different time zones might create problems in case of poor communication.
- Limited control as you don’t have full-time access to a workflow.
In-house software development stands for product development taking place onsite to support your business operations.
- Putting together an entire staff and applying favorable infrastructure.
- In-depth understanding of business aspects.
- Personal control of annual expenses.
- Tight control of development due to guaranteed availability to a workflow.
- The same time zone.
- Ability to manage multi-year projects.
- High costs for regular salaries, medical insurance, sick days, leave period, office rent, software, equipment, employee benefits, perks.
- The process of finding and training local mobile app developers takes from 30 days to several months.
- Tech stack can be limited since a particular specialist would probably have a more general skill set.
- Not suitable for short-term projects.
Freelance app developers are specialists who are self-employed and mainly perform one-time tasks on specific freelance platforms.
- Freelance is suitable for short-term, simple projects.
- Freelance specialists offer lower rates compared to the costs of an in-house team or offshore development company.
- Payment only for completed tasks.
- Fewer communication overheads.
- No guarantee of quality work.
- Not suitable for long-term, complex projects.
- No possibility of post-deployment maintenance.
- Lack of experience in multiple technologies. For additional work, you need to find and hire new freelance experts, e.g., designers or QA engineers.
- Lack of tools for workflow management.
- Freelance app developers may be involved in several projects simultaneously from different customers, which may affect your product quality.
- Risk of not completing your task, failing deadlines.
- When hiring freelance developers, you face the risk of stealing your idea or disclosing confidential information.
Before you choose a particular type of a contractor as well as where to hire developers, keep in mind that the rates range may vary significantly in different regions. Rates depend not only on the application complexity, developers’ skill set or expertise but also on an image of the region and the cost of living.
3. Platforms to Browse
You can use personal connections, randomly browse the Web, or surf through social media to find application developers for hire, but the best option is to monitor specific platforms.
Clutch and GoodFirms are considered the trusted B2B platforms among businesses to find and hire contractors due to their honest approach. You can’t leave fake reviews, as service managers carefully check all data. These services analyze and rank best app developers for hire in broad categories.
These platforms offer companies to become sponsors. In case of purchasing sponsorship packages, companies receive advanced positions in ratings, reviews, better visibility, ads, and other benefits which may mislead you while browsing categories of creators.
LinkedIn is a social network focused on business connections. Companies publish their articles and news. Individual freelancers communicate on thematic topics. But profiles that are not fully completed, can be overlooked by the interested party. Also, there are many fake accounts that can cause inconvenience when searching for contractors to hire.
Upwork, Freelancer, People Per Hour, Guru and other freelance platforms offer such business tools as online and offline time tracking, invoices, file sharing, messaging, notifications. Comments and star ratings from previous or current clients, as well as job success, can help to find and hire appropriate freelancers.
GitHub as a code hosting platform provides you with the opportunity to look through specific samples of open source code to find creators.
Look through portfolios on design platforms—Dribbble, Behance, Slideshare, 99Designs, crowdspring, etc. Good design sells, so carefully check samples and presentations published on these websites to find the perfect match.
Such platforms for competitions as Kaggle, DrivenData, DataScience, or CodaLab hold machine learning and data processing contests. The more successful creators’ accounts and projects, the more qualified mobile app developers.
You can also analyze a technical blog where a team crafts content which is useful for businesses and startups looking for developers to hire.
4. Compare Programmers
For an accurate analysis of potential creators, create a comparison table considering the following issues:
1. Portfolio of Past Projects
Ask candidates to show the samples of applications they have already created. Portfolios will give you a comprehensive understanding of the creators’ skill set.
2. Development Capabilities
Make sure that tech stack, functionality, and design solutions are precisely what your business needs. Consider time-and-cost effective solutions. For example, cross-platform development using React Native allows creating a mobile app both for iOS and Android, reducing costs 1.8 times, and shortening the development time.
3. List of Former or Current Clients
The list of client base will also help you to weigh the pros and cons of a particular developer. You can request reviews on the work done, ask whether clients are satisfied with the result, or maybe they have suggestions on what they would like to improve.
4. Payment Structure
Specify which payment model a company uses and ensure that its team completes product development under the agreement and without exceeding the budget. Time and material pricing model fits best for massive and long-term projects. Milestone payments are also widely used. Some prefer hourly payments.
5. Communication Flow and Product Management Tools
Ask creators what tools they apply in their activities and how they conduct communication Jira and Trello are essential to controlling the terms of the development agreement and meeting deadlines.
6. Product Management Methodologies
Agile, Scrum, Kanban, Lean, and other methods are perfect for various projects with entirely different input sets and requirements. You can also combine these methods.
7. Protection of the Application Idea
Specify how you can secure your IT-product. The proven option is to sign a confidentiality agreement (NDA), or mobile app development agreement, considering intellectual property rights, as well as ownership of an app’s source code, design, and content. Define the responsibilities, deliverables, payment structure, workflow, and deadlines.
5. Carefully Review Creators’ Portfolios
A careful review of a company’s case studies lets you know whether a team is worth your efforts.
- Similar Features. Make sure that a company has already implemented features similar to yours. Check what an initial problem was, and what solution was found to solve it.
- Experience in Your Business Niche. Ensure that creators have already built applications for other businesses in your niche. In this case, a company has expertise in your area and knows what languages, frameworks, or design solutions are the best for specific markets.
- Make Sure a Company Mentions Challenges. Portfolios with the lack of description of the difficulties faced by a development team should cause doubt. Try to find firms that openly talk about challenges, and what solution they offered to solve various pain points.
- Customer Reviews. Note if there are customer reviews in case studies. The lack of reviews should cause mistrust. In this case, you can ask a company to provide you with clients’ contacts or find contractors’ profiles on specific platforms that we mentioned above.
- Portfolio Design. Portfolio design will give you an idea of whether a company follows the main design principles and guidelines.
Focus on Quality Instead of Rates
Choose those who strive for creating a powerful tool for your business needs. You can find and hire freelance app developers, found a team from local mobile app developers, or cooperate with an offshore team. Each type of cooperation has its pros and cons. To find the golden mean, point out all the benefits and the real business value a contractor can offer you to meet your objectives.
To come up with a realistic project estimation is one of the major hea...
August 08, 2018
Chatbots have confidently occupied interaction between businesses and ...
August 23, 2019
It is easier than ever before to raise awareness with brand building i...
October 15, 2019