How to Reduce Time to Market with DevOps Engineer
November 18, 2019
Over the past decade, DevOps engineers teams have gained impressive experience in combining development and operations using advanced technologies such as GitLab CI/CD, CircleCI, Docker, Kubernetes. Today, this methodology is applicable to any business that has an IT department.
In this post, OpenGeeksLab will help you take a look at aspects of how development operations solutions improve software quality and reliability, eliminating inefficiencies.
What Is DevOps and Who Is DevOps Engineer?
DevOps is an environment of development or operations that aim to optimize an entire workflow, making it transparent, more clear for both clients and project stakeholders. This is achieved not so much through tools, processes, automation, but through a change in organizational culture. Common responsibility, common tools, processes, culture unite a team providing effective interaction between all members, IT departments, quality assurance, managers, business representatives, simplifying the stages of approval so is coordination.
This methodology is essential for large-scale projects, especially when you need to test, verify, deploy thousands of micro-servers. Here are examples of service diagrams in which each dot is a separate server.
Image source: OEX Divante
Accordingly, DevOps engineer is a specialist who personifies in-depth knowledge through years of practical experience, working at the interface of two positions, in addition to doing application life cycle automation (including design, development, testing, deployment, support, and monitoring). DevOps engineer is responsible for all issues connected with a server environment. He or she will not have such troubles as staging or prod is down. Yet, an application requires many resources from a server. Moreover, new developers face problems regarding project initialization on a local machine. As a result, the release process takes much time. The build process is time-consuming. Push to App Store, or Google Play is lengthy. DevOps engineers participate in the workflow from the outset of development. They will configure and automate all these operations as well as maintain a server environment during a project.
All capabilities of DevOps software engineer are too obvious to be overlooked. Here are some of them:
- ability to collaborate, communicate, reach different departments
- comfort in a fast as well as constantly changing environment
- many years of experience with systems and IT operations
- strong focus on business results
- data management skills
Thanks to unity and cooperation, everyone is responsible for a final product, which significantly reduces the possibility of errors in an app’s work and helps avoid unexpected aftermath.
Tasks and Responsibilities
Full-stack DevOps engineer’s main task is to maximize software development predictability, effectiveness, and security. His or her central work part falls on the stage of product delivery to customers.
Software DevOps engineer’s responsibilities include:
- deployment of developers release set in production
- integration and deepening in supply development processes
- development environment standardization
- infrastructure settings depending on software features
- preparing a productive environment for frequent changes
- problems detection and correction
- processes automation
All these skills point to a growing recognition that software is no longer being written in the old way. Modern software complexity is not so much in authoring, but in new software ensuring that will immediately work in various operating systems or platforms. If developers communicate in advance, so is regularly with an operations team, and operational employees share their production environment knowledge, this leads to a more coherent software structure and program code higher overall quality.
Why You Need DevOps Engineer
Numerous case studies in reports such as DevOps Status, or in meetings such as DevOps Talks Conference (DOTC) show that a need for DevOps software engineers skills is growing rapidly, as companies get great results and are considered more highly functional. Software DevOps engineer is a person who has gone beyond his or her specific areas of competence and has a more holistic view on a technical environment.
DevOps is already successful in many areas. DevOps has long been a must. All enterprises are deploying and releasing their products. The difference is in the approach.
NASA, for instance, has been thinking about deploying software since 2004, when they first adopted JIRA, and have since been aiming for stars with DevOps.
Starbucks launched its #DevOpsTogether campaign in April 2015. Starbucks CEO is a big supporter of this method to keep a company technically innovative.
The Department of Justice, U.S. Customs, Border Protection, and the Federal Reserve are all using DevOps methodology.
Not only is Etsy a super cool company that is perfect for buying all of your holiday gifts. They are also DevOps hard. In 2009, they created own tools to release code better, faster, and not only by a development team.
All abovementioned examples show business owners that implementing DevOps is no longer just an advantage.
Benefits You Will Get from Adopting DevOps
The widespread introduction of this methodology and its popularity can be explained by various reasons. The global DevOps market size is expected to reach 12.85 billion USD by 2025, according to a new study by Grand View Research, Inc., registering an 18.60% CAGR during the forecast period.
Here are some benefits that remote DevOps may bring to your business:
- DevOps can ensure a smooth process of transferring projects from one developer to another to save time on project initialization. You, as a CEO, can save money and time. You will have an easy to use system that will allow you to forget about project initializations, project releases, builds of projects.
- DevOps can reduce the cost of server environment (Amazon Web Services (AWS), Google Cloud Platform, etc.) by decreasing loads on a server, thus improving the speed of server response and automate processes, for example, adding resources to a virtual machine.
- DevOps can make faster time to market. Deploying applications is fast so are reliable thanks to automation tools that DevOps network engineer typically relies on. Automating, properly building and optimizing current processes of project initialization, project release, project deployment, pushing a project to App Store, or Google Play, transferring it from one service to another or one developer to another.
- DevOps can improve teamwork. This methodology means team responsibility, which leads to better team engagement so is performance. Product knowledge is no longer scattered across different roles or departments, which means better process transparency as well as decision making.
- DevOps can enhance flexibility and support. Applications created with DevOps support engineers are more scalable, easier to maintain thanks to using microservices with cloud technologies. Whether private or public, they allow customers to run applications without their own server farm.
By combining cloud DevOps engineers with cloud technology, a company receives first-class cloud solutions or services that help it achieve a smooth, safe, successful digital conversion, eliminating human errors, reducing costs as well as streamlining development processes.
Implementing this methodology will provide a tangible return on your business, save time and resources, help you boost your income by increasing business speed and competitiveness.
Maximize Your Product Predictability, Efficiency, and Security
DevOps implementation will help your company increase collaboration effectiveness between groups, provide improved development, automated testing, and accelerate deployment processes, ensuring scalability as well as reliability.
Full-stack DevOps engineers can work with your company to help test, improve code, verify deployment artifacts, provide quality builds and code reports. Thanks to virtualization, experts from various groups can use the same computing and network environments, which further eliminates all technology barriers and significantly reduces costs.
OpenGeeksLab is tailored to provide you with an advanced server environment setup with a wide selection of related services. Want to enforce your application development with DevOps best practices? Just drop us a line!
It’s no longer a question of whether to switch to alternative renewa...
September 12, 2018
You, as a business owner, are interested in a high standard realizatio...
May 20, 2019
The very first app release is the most important contact with your tar...
October 01, 2019